Thursday, December 25, 2014

Between a Grizzly and Her Cub Part Ten

Chad awoke (for the second time in twenty-four hours) handcuffed to a hospital bed. He stared at the pregnant cop who sat across from him.
Agent Teller wore a black suit with an elastic lower half. Chad never suspected such an outfit existed.
Teller’s blue eyes drilled cold holes through him. “You murdered your nephew as well as Detective Redwood.”
“Qasim promised to burn Matthew to death,” Chad explained. “I thought he would die either way. If you and your agency moved a bit quicker . . .”
“Don’t pin you ignorance on me,” Teller said. “Redwood worked for my department. His mission was to get recruited by Qasim and gather intelligence. We wanted Qasim’s boss, who’s in Russia right now, screaming for your blood.”
Chad’s forehead throbbed. “Why would Internal Affairs chase after a Russian mobster?”
“Because Redwood and I aren’t Internal Affairs. We’re CIA.” She allowed Chad a moment to digest this. “That’s why Redwood tried to steer you away from Qasim. He didn’t want your interference.”
“Why didn’t you just tell me that?” Chad asked.
She glared at him.
“Right,” Chad said. “Not my business. Need-to-know. Blah. Blah.” He felt a pathetic desire to cry. “Redwood was an ass.”
Detective Redwood risked his life to save yours,” Teller said. “You repaid his heroism with a bullet.”
Chad’s mind flashed back to the loose handcuffs that Redwood fastened around Chad’s wrists, back in the airplane hangar. Chad recalled the way that Redwood “accidently” allowed Chad to take his pistol.
Redwood couldn’t have known if Qasim would leave him alone with Chad and Matthew, so he prepared Chad for the possibility of a gunfight.
“You’re going down for two counts of murder in the first degree.” Teller stood, headed for the door. “One against a child. One against a cop. Qasim’s boss? Her people will find you in prison. Your life isn’t worth squat.”
Chad marveled at her cold manner. She knew he never intended to hurt his nephew or an honest police officer. “I’m sorry about Detective Redwood.” He made damn sure to pronounce the man’s title.
She paused at the door. “Actually, it was Special Agent Redwood. He would’ve made a good father.” She left.
Chad watched her disappear.
He told himself to remain calm, and then he realized he already felt perfectly calm. Delayed panic? He imagined it would arrive. Perhaps when the jury found him guilty. Perhaps when he first heard his prison cell slam shut behind him.
He glanced towards the open doorway, where Melissa suddenly stood.
The cancer, over the last few days, ate away at her. Her face looked skeletal. The grief in her eyes stung Chad.
She lost everything in a handful of days. Her husband. Her son. Soon, she would lose her life.
“Melissa. I’m so sorry.”
She lifted a hand that pled for silence. She checked over her shoulder, ensured that no one stood within earshot of her, and stumbled towards his bed.
Chad swallowed. “How did you sneak in here?” He imagined that cops surrounded the building.
She offered a sad, broken smile. “Don’t I look like someone who ought to be in a hospital?” She leaned over the bed’s short rail. Her pale eyes searched Chad’s own. “All I wanted was the prostitute’s name.”
Chad blinked. “You . . . knew?”
She produced a cynical, short-lived chuckle. “I’m not an idiot.”
Something unpleasant squirmed in Chad’s stomach. “You just played stupid to manipulate me?”
“I wanted you to get the whore’s name,” Melissa whispered. “I wanted to know it before I died.”
Chad closed his eyes. “And here I thought you wanted your husband’s killer brought to justice.”
She smacked him. Her weak, meatless hand failed to harm him, but it earned his attention. His eyes opened. He stared at her, noticed the strange expression on her face.
She leaned closer, whispered directly into his ear. “Qasim didn’t murder my disloyal husband.”
Confusion swept over Chad. “Then who . . . ?”
He understood.
She straightened, kept her voice low. “I sat at home, fed my life to cancer, while David met with a hooker. I suppose I didn’t react very well. Now, we all pay for David’s sins. Matthew, me, you. We all fall down.”
She turned to leave.
Chad’s wide eyes watched her retreat.
He wondered how long he would last in prison, before the Russians found him.

The End.

I publish my blogs as follows:
Mondays and Thursdays: Short stories at martinwolt.blogspot.com
Tuesdays: A look at the politics of the entertainment world at EntertainmentMicroscope.blogspot.com.
Wednesdays: An inside look at my novels (such as Daughters of Darkwana, which you can now find on Kindle) at Darkwana.blogspot.com
Fridays: Tips to improve your fiction at FictionFormula.blogspot.com
Sundays: Movie reviews at moviesmartinwolt.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment