Thursday, January 1, 2015

Lanterns

(Ragnorok: Part Two, the conclusion to last Tuesday’s short story, will arrive next week. Today, I present the following New Year special)

Night swallowed the beach. The New Year party only began. The clock wouldn’t strike midnight for several hours.
He sat beside a small, Mexican-style restaurant that sat on the sand. A thin, manmade river rushed in an endless loop around the restaurant. The cold water raced over the countless, polished river rocks that sat within the display.
He removed one stone at random. He wanted its absence to affect the river’s course, but the river seemed none the wiser.
She stood with her arms crossed. “I mean it. Quit this nonsense, or our relationship ends.”
He shook his head. “I can’t quit.”
“You already lost!” She stomped her foot. “Nobody wants or needs this stupid invention of yours. The prototype barely functions. I stood by you for years while you piddled your small business loans. You’re broke. It's over.”
He stared at her.
She averted her eyes. “Please don’t pretend that you're on the verge of victory.”
“I wouldn’t lie to you,” he said. “I’m not even at square one. I can’t quit, though.”
“My father offered you a job washing windows on his skyscraper. It pays well, and few people can handle it.”
Heights never bothered him.
He plopped the stone back into the lake. “The New York Giants signed my little brother straight out of high school. Then, a week after he leaves for the big apple, something misfires in his brain. He dies.”
She sighed. Waited for him to continue.
He did. “I asked my grandfather, ‘What gives God the right to kill my brother?’ He told me, “People cannot place stars in the sky.’
“When you consider,” he continued, “how every event in history lined up for your parents to meet, have sex right while you waited in the chamber of your father’s pistol, and for you to reach your mother’s egg first, you see that life isn't fair, but it's beautiful. It's a magnificent gift.”
Several strangers filled the beach. They lit Chinese sky lanterns, let them fill with heat, and released them into the sky.
Some of the lanterns flew high. Some merely floated above the ocean as enchanted jellyfish. Others hit the water and sank.
He wondered how much distance those stars would cover in their short lifespans.
“How could I,” he asked, “hold such a gift in my hands and wash windows? I must do something different, something special.”
She refused to meet his eyes.
"I don't need you to believe in me," he said, "but I wish you did."
“Then you should've given me something in which to believe.” She turned to leave. “After you get your stuff out of our apartment, leave the keys on the table by the door.” She paused. “You ought to feel terrified for yourself.”
He didn’t watch her go. He watched one lantern turn in the breeze, catch fire, and burn.
One family released a lantern that didn’t appear fully inflated. He wanted to yell, "Wait!" before they let it go.
Their lantern limped across air, towards the ocean. A slight breeze blew, straightened it.
Their lantern soared.
A little girl clapped her hands. “It flies, Mommy!”
Mommy knelt beside the little girl. “Make a wish, Sweetheart.”

He closed his eyes. I don’t want to feel afraid.

I publish my blogs as follows:
Mondays and Thursdays: Short stories at martinwolt.blogspot.com
Tuesdays: A look at the politics of the entertainment world at EntertainmentMicroscope.blogspot.com.
Wednesdays: An inside look at my novels (such as Daughters of Darkwana, which you can now find on Kindle) at Darkwana.blogspot.com
Fridays: Tips to improve your fiction at FictionFormula.blogspot.com
Sundays: Movie reviews at moviesmartinwolt.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment